Monday, 7 December 2015

Arms Deal: EFCC confronts Dasuki, Dokpesi and others with evidence of illicit transactions

Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)
The special team raised by the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to probe the disbursement of $2.2 billion arms contract deal in the office of the former National Security Adviser, yesterday, confronted the major suspects with evidence of their illicit transactions.

The 27-member task force, which has Ibrahim Magu as a member, spent most part of the day to grill the suspects and asked them to speak up on any aspect of the transactions where their names or those who allegedly fronted for them, appeared.

The extended questioning of the high profile suspects was to prepare the ground for their arraignment this week.

It was gathered that the commission had outsmarted the key suspects by first securing a court order to detain them beyond the stipulated 48-hour threshold, thereby making it more difficult for their lawyers to secure their early release.

A top source said most of the suspects, who had earlier attempted to deny their involvement in the arms deal, were dumbfounded when confronted with concrete evidence of all the transactions they had made in the office of the ex-NSA.
“Many of the suspects, who were claiming ignorance of collecting huge sums of money from the office of the ex-NSA, were tongue tied when we brought them to face each other. I think they will soon appear in court to tell the world why they went to the ONSA to sign and collect huge sums of public money that was not meant for the purposes they were given,” an EFCC source said.

Credit: Soni Daniel/Vanguard

No comments:

Post a comment