Thursday, 19 November 2015

Nigerian Army denies losing 105 officers to Boko Haram

General Tukur Buratai
Chief of Army staff, Lt. General Tukur Buratai has waved aside reports that about 105 soldiers prosecuting the war against Boko Haram terrorists met their untimely death when they failed to return in a bid to annihilate the terrorists in the North East.

The media had been awashed with news that about 100 Nigerian soldiers were missing after Boko Haram attacks in the epicenter of the battle.

But General Buratai in a telephone conversation with Vanguard said, “It is not true that our soldiers are missing. The soldiers went on a mission for the Nigerian nation and they have since returned and joined their Battalions”.

The confident Chief of Army Staff said that insinuation is a figment of imagination of the authors of the story.

Media reports had indicated that the Army may have lost about 150 of its men to an attack by Boko Haram insurgents in Gudunbali, Borno State.

Boko Haram carried out a series of mass killings in Baga between January 3 and January 7, 2015, after the army headquarters there was sacked by the insurgents.

Although the military later liberated the town, soldiers stationed in the area have come under constant attacks from the insurgents.

The attacks on the military came on the heels of the suicide attacks on Yola and Kano respectively.

Credit: Kingsley Omonobi/Vanguard

No comments:

Post a comment